Possibly Saxon (Winebald’s fortified place) [Staffordshire Place-Names Including the Black Country]

Wimblebury, 1m ESE of Hednesford, developing as a mining community in the mid-19th century. By 1871 it had a population of some 700 and apparently had such numbers of churches and chapels that it was called The Holy City. By the 1950s mining subsidence had made many of the buildings unsafe and the area was cleared and redeveloped with modern housing. The church of St Paul was built in 1889-90. The name is from a local farm and means ‘Wimbald’s fort’. [A Guide to STAFFORDSHIRE & THE BLACK COUNTRY THE POTTERIES & THE PEAK – Michael RAVEN 2004]


Statistics for the Wimblebury 2001 Census provided by the Office for National Statistics

Learn all about the coal mining industry on the Cannock Chase with the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society

Staffordshire Record Office holds the Five Ways United Methodist Church Baptism Registers (1877 – 1960)

Staffordshire Record Office holds John Street Methodist Chapel Marriage Registers (1948 – 1982)

The B F H G has photographed and transcribed all the names on the Wimblebury War Memorial

Staffordshire Record Office holds the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Baptism Registers (1857 – 1977)