Muckley Corner

 Muckley Corner on the south-west boundary was so called by 1660, but the name Muckley, meaning the great leah (a wood or clearing in woodland), was in use in the mid 13th century. The area was inhabited by the early 18th century. There was evidently an inn there by the 1790s when the Craddock family lived at Muckley Corner House, presumably on the site of the later hotel: James Craddock (d. 1808 or 1809) was both a farmer and a victualler. By the mid 19th century petty sessions were held at the inn, where there was a lock-up. Defendants included people from the developing mining communities in the area, and by the later 1860s sessions were normally held once a month, with another monthly sitting in Shenstone. In 1883 the Muckley Corner sessions were transferred to Brownhills. A police house, possibly over the boundary in Ogley Hay, was advertised for sale or lease in 1873. A police officer was living at Muckley Corner by 1897, presumably in lodgings: he was moved that year because there was no house for him. A police station north of Muckley Corner hotel was opened in 1935 and closed in 1971. It then became a private house called Copper's End. There were cottages adjoining the hotel on the north by the late 19th century. One of them may have served as a post office, recorded in 1908 and closed c. 1930. A row of cottages further north on the Lichfield-Walsall road dates from the early 20th century. ['Townships: Wall with Pipehill', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 14: Lichfield (1990)] (British History Online)

Was one of your ancestors related an Inn Keeper, or related to an Inn Keeper at the Muckley Corner Inn? It has had many Inn Keepers throughout its history. Read about two former Inn Keepers James Craddock and Enoch Cresswell