In 1200 known as ‘Fagerwell’ (Pleasant spring or stream) [The Oxford Names Companion]
Farewell parish became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. Lichfield Union also included the parishes and townships of Alrewas, Armitage-with-Handsacre, King's Bromley, Colton, Elford, Farewell-and-Chorley, Fradswell, Longdon, Ogley-Hay, Orgreave, Pipe-Ridware, Hamstall-Ridware, Mavesyn-Ridware, Rugeley, Swinfen-and-Packington, Shenstone, Weeford, Whittington, and Yoxall. The Union had an area of 94 square miles, and 24,127 inhabitants in 1841. The Union workhouse stood on Burton Road, Lichfield, and was a large building in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1841, with room for about 200 paupers.
Until the middle of the 19th Century Brereton and Rugeley were one parish and then became separate parishes but remaining good neighbours. In more recent years the friendship between the two parishes matured into a number of areas of active co-operation and after 18 months of discussions it was decided that the parishes would be better equipped for service and mission by formally uniting as one. On 1st June 2006 the separate parishes of Rugeley and Brereton became officially the Parish Brereton and Rugeley. The union was marked by a day of celebration on the 19th November of that year.
Farewell and Chorley, are two picturesque hamlets, within a mile of each other, and forming a parish of 179 inhabitants, and about 470 acres of land, lying on the eastern side of Cannock Chase, from two to three miles NW of Lichfield. The Marquis of Anglesey is the principal owner, and lord of the manor. Chorley Hall, an ancient mansion on the western side of the parish, was taken down some years ago, and its site is now occupied by a farm house. John Foster, and James and Joel Smith, Esqs. have estates here, and the latter has a pleasant seat, called Chorley Place. The Parish Church, St Bartholomew, was formerly conventual, and belonged to a priory of Benedictine Nuns, founded here in 1140, by Roger Clinton, bishop of Lichfield, who endowed it with the mill, and all the land lying between the brooks, called Chestals and Blackesiche. Henry II confirmed this grant, and added to it 40 acres of land, cleared from woods, in the forest of Cannock. Upon the suppression of the lesser religious houses, in 1527, this nunnery and its possessions were given to Lichfield, for the support of the choristers. In 1747, the old nunnery chapel was taken down, and in the south wall, three rows of coarse earthen vessels were found. The mouths of these vessels were laid towards the church, and covered with a thin coat of plaster. About 80 years ago the church, except the chancel, was rebuilt of brick. It was repaired and new roofed in 1848. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Marquis of Anglesey, and incumbency of the Rev Edward Carte, BA, of Longton. [History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Farewell, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; near the Trent Valley railway, 2¾ miles NW of Lichfield. It contains the hamlet of Chorley; and its post town is Lichfield. Acres, 1, 049. Rated property, £1, 601. Pop., 209. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. A small Benedictine nunnery was founded here, about 1140, by Bishop Clinton; and given, at the dis-solution, to Cardinal Wolsey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £50. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church belonged to the nunnery, and is tolerable. Charities, £31. [John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870 - 1872]
Christ Church's website
The Church of England website for Christ Church
Stafford Record Office holds the Bishops Transcripts for Christ Church (1837 – 1874) with gaps 1845, 1853 and 1855
A voluntary Look-up exchange by Kaye Christian is available for Christ Church Parish Registers, Baptism Registers (1837 – 1921), Marriage Registers (1840 – 1928) and Burial Registers (1838 – 1979)
Staffordshire Record Office holds the original registers for Church Parish Registers, Baptisms (1840 – 1849) and Burials (1838 – 1979)
The B F H G has transcribed Christ Church registers and the transcription can be bought from us on CD
Armitage - Boney Hay - Brereton - Bridgtown - Brownhills - Burntwood - Cannock - Cannock Wood - Chadsmoor - Chase Terrace - Chasetown - Chorley - Churchbridge - Edial - Farewell - Gentleshaw - Hammerwich - Handsacre - Hazelslade - Heath Hayes - Hednesford - Lichfield - Littleworth - Longdon - Lynn - Muckley Corner - Norton Canes - Ogley Hay - Pelsall - Pipehill - Pye Green - Rawnsley - Rugeley - Shenstone - Stonnall - Upper Longdon - Wall - Wimblebury - Woodhouses