George Michael BALL
1890 - 1918
Researched and written by Alan Betts (Burntwood Family History Group webmaster)
George Michael BALL was born in Hednesford in 1890 and later became a Hawkesman.
George enlisted in 1915 in the Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment and was sent to France. He was given the regimental number 42022.
In July 1916, he came home on leave and, on 24 July 1916, George married Alan Betts's great aunt Gertrude Ann Barnett at St. Peter's Church in Hednesford.
After home leave, George returned to France. On the 28th March 1918, while serving as a Private in the 2/5th Battalion Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment, he was killed in action at Arras.
George is buried in Bienvillers Military Cemetery
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Casualty Record
Private BALL, G
Service Number 42022
West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)
Husband of Gertrude A. Ball, of 218, Littleworth Tileries, Hednesford, Staffs.
Buried at BIENVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY
Location: Pas de Calais, France
Number of casualties: 1200
Cemetery/memorial reference: X.A.6
George's name appears on both the Hednesford War Memorial and Cannock, Church Street Memorial.
George's name also appears in The Remembrance Book of Hednesford and District War Memorial.
In October 2005, Burntwood Family History Group webmaster Alan Betts went to Bienvillers Military Cemetery to visite George's grave and pay his respects.
If you want any information on either George Ball or his wife Gertrude, or if you have any information about them, please contact Alan Betts through Burntwood Family History Group.
Item, Source and Credit
1. Photograph of 42022 Private George Michael Ball @ Alan Betts (BFHG)
2. Transcription of the extract for George Michael Ball's marriage to Gertrude Ann Barnett on 24 July 1916 at St. Peter's Church, Hednesford @ Burntwood Family History Group transcriptions
3. British Army World War I Medal Roll Index Card, 1914-1920, for 42022 Private George Michael Ball @ Ancestry
4. Bienvillers Military Cemetery @ https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/
5. Bienvillers Military Cemetery @ http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk/html-files/bienvillers-military-cemetery.htm
6. Plan of Bienvillers Military Cemetery. The location for Private George Michael Ball's grave is X.A.6. @ Commonwealth War Graves Commission
7. Commemorative certificate for 42022 Private George Michael Ball @ Commonwealth War Graves Commission
8. Hednesford War Memorial @ Alan Betts (BFHG)
9. Panel on Hednesford War Memorial @ Alan Betts (BFHG)
10. Cannock, Church Street War Memorial @ Alan Betts (BFHG)
11. The Remembrance Book of Hednesford and District War Memorial @ Alan Betts (BFHG)
12. Inside page from The Remembrance Book of Hednesford and District War Memorial @ Alan Betts (BFHG)
13. Alan Betts visiting the grave of 42022 Private George Michael Ball at Bienvillers Military Cemetery @ Alan Betts