Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Upper Longdon
 
Burntwood Family History Group
 Upper Longdon
 
 
In 1002 known as ‘Upper Langandune’’ (upper long hill or down)
[The Oxford Names Companion]
 
 
Upper Longdon  1m E of Longdon, nowadays, this is very much a place of upmarket houses. On the main street are the stables of Reg HOLLINSHEAD, where racehorses are trained, and it is a common sight to see them being ridden out. Mr HOLLINSHEAD also runs a school for apprentice jockeys here. Upper Longdon had a windmill. It was first mentioned in 1806 and thought have ceased working in about 1900. In 1973 the tower was converted into a house called Cosy Cottage by the addition of a circular brick bungalow around the base
[A Guide to STAFFORDSHIRE & THE BLACK COUNTRY THE POTTERIES & THE PEAK – Michael RAVEN 2004]
 
 
Coordinates:-   52.729167°N 1.911111°W
OS Grid Reference:-  SK060145
 
The B F H G Photograph Album contains many photographs of landmarks within Upper Longdon