Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Lichfield
Burntwood Family History Group
Lichfield
 
The City of Lichfield & its Out-Townships became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834
Lichfield Cathedral, situated in a spacious Close, skirted by many handsome mansions, is an object of just veneration, and one of the noblest religious fabrics of this kingdom. It is 411 feet in length from east to west, and its three towers, rich in beautiful tracery, are surrounded by lofty and elegant spires, one rising from the centre to 258 feet, and two at the west end, rising to 183 feet. The grand western front is eminently beautiful, consisting of a large pyramidical facade, enriched with a profusion of tracery and a large assemblage of highly wrought statues, placed in niches. On top of the ornamented gable, between the two spires, stands a colossal figure of Charles II, by Sir William Wilson.
[History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
"St Chad's, at the north-east end of the city, close to the extensive pool of Stowe Mill, is the oldest church in Lichfield, being founded at a date long prior to the Cathedral. It is commonly called Stowe Church, from its standing in the ancient lordship of Stowe. It is a small stone structure with a square tower, but has no ornamental decorations, except the interior, which was thoroughly repaired about 50 years ago.
[History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
St Mary's is a plain edifice, with a short tower, on the south side of the Market Place. The present building was completed in 1721, but is about to be repaired, and the tower rebuilt.
[History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
St Michael's church is an ancient edifice, with a lofty spire, standing in a spacious burial ground of seven acres, on Green Hill, on the south-eastern side of the city.
[History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
For many years the name of Lichfield (Letoceto, Lyccidfelth, Liccidfeld, Liccedfeld, Liccetfeld, Lichesfeld) was accepted as meaning ‘the field of corpses’, thought to commemorate a bloody battle many years ago. Today this idea has been discounted, and it is now fairly certain then origin is Celtic and related to Welsh llwyd coed – ‘the grey forest’. The suffix feld was added by the Saxons.
[Staffordshire Place-Names Including the Black Country – Anthony Poulton Smith]
 
OS Grid Reference:- SK115097
 
Lichfield Record Office has a copy of "A Summary Guide to Holdings of Business Records" in Lichfield


The Church of England website for Christ Church


Lichfield Record Office holds the Lichfield Congregational Church Baptisms 1912 - 1977, Burials 1912 – 1951, and Marriages 1912 - 1948


Erasmus Darwin was one of the greatest polymaths of the 18th century. It has been said that no one since has ever rivalled him for his achievements in such a wide range of fields


A history of the Guild Church of Saint Mary produced by the church


Lichfield Record Office has the return for Lichfield 1666 published in "Collection for a History of Staffordshire" 1936 volume


Do you have ancestors who was working in Lichfield in 1811? If so, you may find them listed here


Birmingham Diocesan Archives holds the original registers of Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church for Baptisms 1788 – 1947, Confirmations 1806, 1816, 1838 & 1846 – 1925 and Marriages 1803 - 1839 & 1846 - 1925


The Hospital of St John Baptist without the Barrs is a Grade I listed building and sheltered housing complex with adjacent chapel in the city of Lichfield. The building has ancient roots, once providing accommodation to travellers outside the southern city walls who would arrive in Lichfield after the gates had closed for the night


Staffordshire Record Office holds the Inmates Records 1924 – 1928


Read the history of the King Edward VII Statue on display in Beacon Park


Lichfield Record Office holds the Bishops Transcripts for Marriages 1744 - 1892 (with gaps 1755-66 and Burials 1888 – 1892


Lichfield Record Office holds the original registers for Baptisms & Burials 1660 - 1984 and Marriages 1660 - 1836


The Birmingham & Midland SGH has published a transcript of the Lichfield Cathedral Marriage Licences and Bonds for 1711 - 1716


"The Lichfield Story" through the Exhibits, Graphics, Displays and AV Presentations tells the story of Lichfield covering 2000 years of history. It has a collection of over 6000 photographs and negatives of Lichfield`s social history its fascinating history


Through mpas, see how Lichfield has changed over the years


Are you related to a person with Lichfield connections? You may find the person recorded here


The B F H G Photograph Album contains many photographs of landmarks within Lichfield


Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory for Lichfield 1828 -1829


Pigot & Co.'s Directory of Staffordshire 1830 - Lichfield Inns, Hotels, Taverns and Public Houses


Staffordshire Record Office holds the Lichfield Poll Book for 1747


The B F H G Postcard Album contains many postcards of landmarks within Lichfield


Stafford Record Office holds the Presbyterian Church Baptisms and Births 1695 - 1736


Lichfield Record Office holds the Primitive Methodist Church Baptisms 1840 - 1932


Lichfield Record Office holds wills for Staffordshire the main probate court at the Consistory Court of Lichfield, and has manuscript indexes to the wills held


Lichfield Record Office holds copies of wills proven at the Lichfield District Probate Registry 1858 - 1928


Staffordshire Record Office holds the Lichfield Rate Books 1866 - 1957


Greetings and welcome to St Chad's website - the virtual home of St Chad's Church, Lichfield


The Church of Englands website for Saint Chad's Church


Lichfield Record Office holds the Bishops Transcripts for 1659 - 1892 (with several gaps)


Lichfield Record Office holds the original registers for Banns 1754 – 1774, Baptisms 1635 – 1946, Burials 1635 – 1953 and Marriages 1635 – 1933


The Church of England's website for Saint John's Church


The Church of England's website for Saint Mary's Church


Lichfield Record Office holds the Bishops Transcripts for 1659 - 1868 (with gaps 1662 - 72 & 1675 - 78)


Lichfield Record Office holds the original registers for and Banns 1754 - 1792 & 1823 –1954, Baptisms 1566 – 1917, Burials 1566 – 1921 and Marriages 1566 - 1921


The Church of England's website for Saint Michael's Church


Lichfield Record Office holds the Bishops Transcripts for 1663 - 1868 (with many gaps)


Marriages at Saint Michael's Church between 1788 – 1804


Lichfield Record Office holds the original registers for Banns 1754 – 1762, Baptisms 1569 – 1933, Burials 1569 –1940 and Marriages 1569 - 1945


The Museum stands in the centre of the historic city of Lichfield, which remained close to Johnson's heart throughout his life. Best known for his Dictionary of the English Language, Johnson spent the first 27 years of his life in the large, imposing house which overlooks Market Square, frequently returning until shortly before his death in 1784


Lichfield Record Office holds the Tamworth Street, Wesleyan Methodist Church Baptisms 1892 - 1982


Learn the history of The Swan, Lichfield


Staffordshire Record Office holds the Valuation Lists 1868 – 1934


Lichfield Record Office holds Poll Books for Lichfield for 1761, 1799, 1826, 1830, 1831, 1832, 1835 and 1837


Lichfield Record Office holds the Wade Street, Independent Church Baptisms 1801 - 1837


The B F H G has photographed and transcribed the names on the Lichfield War Memorials


Lichfield Record Office holds the Wesleyan Methodist Church Baptisms 1815 – 1892
 
 
Workhouse - Lichfield
Paupers in need of assistance from Lichfield would have been examined and assessed, and if they met the criteria, they would have been admitted to Lichfield Workhouse. Learn a little of the history of the Lichfield Workhouse.
 
 
Lichfield Workhouse Census 1881records the Staff and Inmates in the Workhouse
 
 
Lichfield Workhouse Correspondence, 1834-1900 and Staff Registers, 1837-1921 are held by The National Archives
 
 

Lichfield Workhouse Index of Admission to and Discharges from Poor Law Union Workhouses, 1836-1900

 

Lichfield Workhouse records for Inmates 1924-1928, Ledgers, 1883-1930, Minutes, 1836-1930, Rate Books, 1866-1957 and Valuation Lists 1868 – 1934 are held by Staffordshire Record Office