Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Gentleshaw
 
Burntwood Family History Group
 Gentleshaw
In the 16th century known as ‘Gentylshawe’ (Gentil’s grove of trees)
[Staffordshire Place-Names Including the Black Country]
 
Christ Church, Gentleshaw was a chapelry to Longdon until 1840, when it became a parish in its own right. The register of Christ Church commence in 1837. Christ Church, Gentleshaw in this parish, near Beaudesert, is a neat brick structure, which was built in 1845. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the alternate patronage of the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev E Carte, BA.
 
Christ Church's website
The Church of England website for Christ Church
Lichfield Record Office holds the Bishops Transcripts for Christ Church (1837 – 1874) with gaps 1845, 1853 and 1855
A voluntary Look-up exchange by Kaye Christian is available for Christ Church Parish Registers, Baptism Registers (1837 – 1921), Marriage Registers (1840 – 1928) and Burial Registers (1838 – 1979)
Staffordshire Record Office holds the original registers for Church Parish Registers, Baptisms (1840 – 1849) and Burials (1838 – 1979)
The B F H G has transcribed Christ Church registers and the transcription can be bought from us on CD
A history of the Gentleshaw Sand Company by Webster Genealogy
Are you related to John James of Gentleshaw? Take a look at his Will and Inventory of 1823
Keep up to date with all the news in Gentleshaw with their Newsletter
The B F H G Photograph Album contains many photographs of landmarks within Gentleshaw
The Staffordshire and Stoke On Trent Archive Service website gives on-line access to the Gentleshaw section of White's History Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire 1851