Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Churchbridge
 
Burntwood Family History Group
Churchbridge
 
Church Bridge is a small village in Great Wyrley township, one and a half miles S of Cannock, on the Watling Street, and on one of the tributary streams of the Penk, where Mr Gilpin established, about 50 years ago, an extensive manufactory of edge-tools, augers, hammers, etc, and a forge, a tilt, rolling and grinding mills, and furnaces for converting and refining iron and steel, all of which are now in a flourishing state, and give employment to a considerable number of workmen. About one mile to the W is Wedges Mills, a hamlet in Cannock township, where Gilpin & Co have another edge-tool manufactory, on the Hedgford rivulet. Landy Wood is a hamlet in Great Wyrley township, five miles N by W of Walsall.
[History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
The B F H G Photograph Album contains only two photographs of landmarks in Churchbridge. If you have any photographs we can add to our album please submit them to us at enquiries@bfhg.org.uk