Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Cannock Wood
 
Burntwood Family History Group
 Cannock Wood
Cannock is divided into six liberties: Cannock, Great Wyrley, Huntington, Hednesford, Leacroft and Cannock Wood. Cannock Wood extends from two to four miles NE of Cannock, and is the liberty which includes part of Beaudesert Park and Radmoor Abbey ruins. It has a few good farms, and 275 inhabitants, and includes a large portion of the open heath, where there are a number of cottages, with small plots of garden attached. About three miles NE of Cannock village, is the Marquis of Anglesey's beautiful seat, Beaudesert Park, one moiety of which is in the liberty of Cannock Wood, and contains the vestiges of an extensive British encampment, a little to the south of which is Radmoor, where there are some remains of an Abbey of Cistercian monks.
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
Cannock Wood a township, in the parish of Cannock, union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford; containing 275 inhabitants, and comprising of 1214a. 20p. of land.
[Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1859]
 
Are you related to William Brindley born in Cannock Wood about 1901? or his son John Brindley born in Cannock Wood in 1824? Then this family tree may help you find more relatives
Why not take a walk round Castle Ring with Map MyWalk and learn some interesting facts about this historic site
Statistics for the Cannock Wood 2001 Census provided by the Office for National Statistics
Learn all about the coal mining industry with the Coal Mining History Resource Centre
Learn all about the coal mining industry on the Cannock Chase with the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society
A plan of Castle Ring
Keep up to date with all the news in Cannock Wood with the Cannock Wood Newsletter provided by Lichfield Mercury
 
 
The B F H G Photograph Album contains many photographs of landmarks within Cannock Wood