Burntwood Family History Group
   Home      Z Brereton
 
Burntwood Family History Group
 Brereton
 
 
In 1279 known as ‘Breredon’’ (Hill where the briars grow)
[The Oxford Names Companion]
 
Brereton, on the Lichfield road, one and a half miles SE of Rugeley, is a large village with several well built houses, mostly in Rugeley parish, and partly in the parishes of Armitage and Longdon. It is occupied partly by miners employed in the extensive collieries belonging to Earl Talbot and the Marquis of Anglesey, in the adjacent parts of Cannock Chase, from which there are tram roads down to the Trent & Mersey Canal
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
 
Until the middle of the 19th Century Brereton and Rugeley were one parish and then became separate parishes but remaining good neighbours. In more recent years the friendship between the two parishes matured into a number of areas of active co-operation and after 18 months of discussions it was decided that the parishes would be better equipped for service and mission by formally uniting as one. On 1st June 2006 the separate parishes of Rugeley and Brereton became officially the Parish Brereton and Rugeley. The union was marked by a day of celebration on the 19th November of that year
Brereton a chapelry district, in the Parish of Rugeley, union of Lichfield, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 1 ¼ miles (S.E.) from Rugeley; containing about 1160 inhabitants. This district is the south-eastern portion of the parish. The river Trent forms its boundary on the north-east and the Grand Trunk canal passes through it, communicating by two railroads with collieries of considerable extent belonging to Earl Talbot and the Marquess of Anglesey. The scenery is extremely beautiful, presenting the varieties of woodland, moorland, well cultivated fields, and hill and dale: a large portion of Cannock Chase is included in the district; the remainder is partly opasture, and partly arable land. The village lies on the road from Lichfield to Stafford, and is distance seven miles from the former, and nine miles from the latter place; it contains several well built houses. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Rugeley, endowed partly by private benefaction, and partly by grants from Queen Anne’s Bounty and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; net income, £120, with a parsonage-house, and nine acres of glebe. The church, names St. Michael’s, stands on the brow of a hill by the side of the road; it was built in 1837, at the cost of nearly £1800, and is a cruciform structure with lancet windows, containing 422 sittings, of which 222 are free. Its situation has been happily chosen to set it off to advantage, and is much admired. A national school for boys was established in 1843, and is supported by subscription; there is also a national school for girls, founded by Miss Sneyd. A boy’s day school, established by Miss Birch, was endowed by her with £70 per annum; and the same lady founded almshouses for six poor people, to each of whom she left a perpetual allowance of 4s. per week. The last school and the almshouses are in connexion with the Wesleyan Methodists; who have here a place of worship.
[Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1859]
 
 
Brereton, a chapelry in Rugeley parish, Stafford; adjacent to the Trent Valley railway, 1 mile SE of Rugeley. It was constituted in 1843; and it has a post office under Rugeley. Pop., 1,359. Houses, 281. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £164.* Patron, the Vicar of Rugeley. The church is in the early English style, and has a fine spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
(John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870 - 1872)
 
OS Grid Reference:- SK053164
 
 
The Staffordshire Past-Track website for a transcription of the Brereton 1871 Census
 
 
Statistics for the Brereton 2001 Census provided by the Office for National Statistics
 
 
Have you got Gilbert family ancestors in Brereton? You may be related to this family
 
 
Some of the history of Brereton The (Place at the) Briar Covered Hill
 
 
Are you related to a person with Brereton connections? Information on people from Bridgetown as detailed by The Independent
 
 
The B F H G Photograph Album contains many photographs of landmarks within Brereton
 
 
The B F H G Postcard Album contains only one postcard of a landmark within Brereton. If you have any postcards we can add to our album please submit them to us at enquiries@bfhg.org.uk
 
 
The Church of England website for Saint Michael's Church
 
 
The parish website for Saint Michael's Church
 
 
A voluntary 'Look-up' exchange is available by Kay Christian for Saint Michael’s Church Baptisms (1843 – 1956), Marriages (1846 – 1956) and Burials (1843 -1946)
 
 
The Church of England website for Saint Oswald Church
 
 
The B F H G has photographed and transcribed all the names on the Brereton War Memorial
 
 
The Staffordshire Record Office holds the Wesleyan Methodist Church Registers prior to 1970. Baptism registers (1817 - 1836) and (1857 - 1879)
 
 
The Staffordshire and Stoke On Trent Archive Service website gives on-line access to the Brereton section of White's History Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire 1851
 
 

Paupers in need of assistance from Brereton would have been examined and assessed, and if they met the criteria, they would have been admitted to Lichfield Workhouse